Thursday, December 30, 2010

Buffalo Wing Soup




I don't know about you, but I miss the day of going into my favorite restaurant and ordering hot wings. Not only is the deep fried chicken a no-no, but often the sauce and the blue cheese dressing would definitely be loaded with gluten. I have been reading. "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" by Stephanie O'Dea. It is a great collection of gluten-free slow cooker recipes. I love that it is totally tailored to Celiacs.
In the past 24 hours, our town has received about 8 inches of snow. I decided it was perfect soup weather. I had some left-over GF Rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club, and decided to use that chicken called for in the recipe. The recipe can be found on page 178 of Stephanie's book. I made this as a stove-top version, since my crock is in the dishwasher right now :) If you make this in the crockpot cook it on high for4-6 hours.

Buffalo Wing Soup

4TBSP unsalted butter
1/4 cup rice flour
1/2 yellow onion chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 cup chicken broth(I used Swanson's)
2 cups milk(2%)
1/2 tsp celery seed(I used this to lower sodium content)
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 cup hot wing sauce(Stephanie's recipe called for 1/2 cup-makes it really hot!)
4 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed

In a stock pot, melt butter. Add onions and celery, and saute until tender. Add celery seed, and garlic salt. Add rice flour, and stir to coat vegetables.
Slowly add chicken broth to form a Roux. Let simmer for 1 minute to thicken.
Add chicken, milk, and hot wing sauce. Simmer 2-3 minutes. Add cubed cheese and stir until blended. Serve with tortilla chips or GF crackers.

This really is a most yummy recipe. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment